Danville Area Community College is an accredited public two-year community college providing higher education opportunities for youth and adults in East Central Illinois. Established initially as an extension center of the University of Illinois in 1946, DACC became a public junior college named Danville Community College under Danville Public Schools in 1949. In 1951, the name was changed to Danville Junior College. In June of 1966, the College separated from Danville School District No. 118 under provisions of the Public Junior College Act and became an independent two-year area college under the control of the Board of Trustees of Junior College District No. 507. The name Danville Junior College was changed to Danville Area Community College on July 1, 1979, to be more reflective of the services rendered. The College district encompasses high school districts in Vermilion, Edgar, Iroquois, Ford, and Champaign counties with an estimated population 89,000.