Address Changes; Academic Standards of Progress

Address Changes; Academic Standards of Progress


It is very important that the Admissions Office (Vermilion Hall) has an updated address on each student. Registration, billing, course changes, and grades are all affected by an incorrect address. Please notify the Admissions Office of your new address. Please note that changing your address to an in-district address will not automatically change your residency or tuition status. Appropriate documentation must be presented to change residency. To view the steps to change residency, visit the Admissions & Registration web pages at

ACADEMIC STANDARDS OF PROGRESS (for all college-level courses and programs)

*The Office of Financial Aid has additional Standards of Academic Progress (SAP) requirements. Please see below for their SAP guidelines.


The final semester grades are determined by the instructors, according to the grades the student earns in all phases of class work: class discussions, tests, daily work, laboratory work, reports, term papers, and the semester examinations. Final grades should reflect consistent improvement as well as averaged grades. Grade reports are issued by the Records Office at the end of each semester. Mid-semester grades are posted by individual instructors. A student may file notice and repeat any unsuccessfully completed course, and the higher grade earned will be used to compute the cumulative grade point average.

The letter system of grading is employed as follows:

Grade Grade Description Assigned Grade Points
A Excellent 4 grade points per credit hour
B Above Average 3 grade points per credit hour
C Average 2 grade points per credit hour
D Below Average 1 grade points per credit hour
F Failed 0 grate points ber credit hour

The following grades do not affect grade point average:

Grade Grade Description How the Grade is Used
W Withdrawal Official withdrawal of a student within the Withdrawal Policy guidelines.
I Incomplete A temporary grade. All incomplete work involved with a temporary “I” grade must be performed within 30 calendar days after the end of the term so that a grade may be recorded. If an “I” grade expires without progress, the student will receive an “F.” If an extension beyond 30 days is needed due to extenuating circumstances (such as an illness/accident, natural disaster, pandemic, etc.), it may be considered by the Instructor and Dean. The Registrar should be consulted regarding the extension length for procedural guidance to meet state and federal compliance regulations.
P Passed This grade is used for successfully completed labs and orientations.
AU Audit Students auditing a course will receive an “AU” grade.
S Satisfactory The Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grades are used by some non-degree courses (ex: Developmental Education, Corporate & Community Education).
U Unsatisfactory


A student will be considered on academic probation if he or she fails to maintain the cumulative grade point average (GPA) required for good standing as follows:

Semester Hours Earned @DACC Minimum GPA for Good Standing
0-17 credit hours 1.400
18-31 credit hours 1.600
32-48 credit hours 1.800
49+ credit hours 2.000


A student placed on Academic Probation will be limited to a maximum of twelve (12) credit hours of enrollment for the next term. The following criteria also apply:

  1. The student must earn a 2.000 GPA or higher for the term.
  2. The student will remain on Probation until he/she attains a cumulative grade point average that falls under “good standing.”

In the event that the student does not achieve either of the above criteria, the student will be placed on Academic Suspension for one term.


The rapid pace of change in today's society requires everyone to be engaged in lifelong learning. Realizing that personal circumstances and attitudes change over time, returning students who have been absent for five years or more and who have had an unsuccessful academic experience will not be placed on Academic Probation during their first term of re-enrollment with the College. It is hoped that this "Grace Period" will support students who have an unsatisfactory academic record, but who desire to return to DACC and seriously pursue a course of study.

The returning student's cumulative GPA will be examined following the first term of re-enrollment, and DACC Standards of Progress will apply. Students may wish to explore the possibility of a grade exclusion at that time if appropriate. Please be advised that this "Grace Period" is not relevant to a previous financial aid warning, suspension or ineligible status which is governed by federal and/or state regulations.


Before a suspended student will be readmitted he or she must prepare a Probation Contract which will identify the measures to be applied to improve the student’s GPA (e.g. change of program, remedial classes, tutorial, or other academic support services, etc.). Enrollment for the next semester will be limited to a maximum of twelve (12) credit hours. The student must earn a 2.00 grade point average (GPA) or higher for the term. The student will remain on probation until he/she attains a cumulative GPA for good standing (see above chart). In the event that the student does not achieve either of the above mentioned criteria, the student will be placed on academic suspension for one term.


The student enrolled at DACC may appeal an academic suspension through the Vice President of Student Services by completing an Appeals Form. The student's appeal will be reviewed with respect to past/current academic standing and/or demonstrated ability to achieve academic success. Submission of an appeals form does not guarantee or suggest automatic reinstatement. The Vice President's office is located in room 203 of Cannon Hall.