Financial Responsibility/Tuition & Fee Refunds; Withdrawal Policy; Transfer-In Credit

Financial Responsibility/Tuition & Fee Refunds; Withdrawal Policy; Transfer-In Credit


Financial Responsibility – By registering for classes at DACC, the student accepts full financial responsibility for payment of all amounts due by the applicable deadlines. The student understands that failure to pay past-due debt may result in referral of the account and will result in restrictions on the student's ability to register for future classes, receive official transcripts and other College services. DACC actively pursues outstanding balances and uses all means necessary as allowed by state and federal law to collect amounts due to the College. Tuition and course fee refunds are handled through the DACC Business Office, located in Vermilion Hall. For classes meeting 12 weeks or longer if a student officially drops before classes start or during the first two weeks of class, tuition and fees paid or payable will be refunded. For classes meeting less than 12 weeks, tuition and fees paid or payable will be refunded through the first week of classes. The exception to this policy is when the Department of Education Federal Refund Rule must be applied to those students who costs are paid by student financial aid funding.

State and/or Accrediting Agency Refund Rule – The State of Illinois has not established a mandated refunding rule for community colleges. The North Central Association as an accrediting agency has not established a refund rate.

Federal Refund Rule (Return of Title IV Funds) – The Department of Education mandates that unearned federal financial aid funds are returned to the specific programs if a student withdraws from a semester. The amount of the refund is determined by the days of the semester that the student was “in attendance” versus the remaining days (after withdrawal) until the semester ends. Students are notified by mail of their debt to the Department of Education. This debt MUST BE PAID in a timely manner in order for the student to receive future financial aid.


Students may officially withdraw from their courses with a W grade until the Friday before their final examinations. Since start/end dates vary, withdrawal dates will be posted every semester. It is the student’s responsibility to know the dates. Dates for each semester will be posted at the Admissions Office, all around campus, and on our website at

Non-attendance does not automatically withdraw a student from a class. It is the student’s responsibility to withdraw him or herself. Students should contact the Admissions & Records Office or their Academic Advisor/Counselor by phone or in-person to officially withdraw. If receiving financial aid, students are encouraged to seek counseling prior to withdrawing from coursework, as their financial aid may be affected. Failure to do so may result in the student owing refunds to Federal and/or State programs and result in restrictions for future student aid. Owing a debt to the school results in restrictions for future enrollment.
Student athletes should also consult with their coach before withdrawing.


Danville Area Community College accepts 100-level and 200-level coursework from other postsecondary institutions who have been accredited by approved national, regional, and professional accrediting bodies. Accreditation shows that the institutions have been evaluated by recognized accreditors and are determined, by their peers, to meet acceptable levels of educational quality.

As part of the DACC application process, students are asked to send “official” transcripts from all institutions previously attended. Once the transcript is received by the DACC Records Office, the transcript is evaluated for credits applicable to the student’s declared major/program of study which will include any math or English credit for course placement. If the student has not indicated a program of study or is “undecided,” only the math and English credits will be evaluated. (Please Note: Students who have indicated “undecided” as their major/program of study are not eligible for Federal and/or State student aid consideration.) After the evaluation has been completed, students will be able to view transfer-in credit via the Jaguar Spot or by contacting the Records Office at 217-443-8797. The evaluation will specify what the transferred coursework equated to at Danville Area Community College.

If a student updates/changes their major/program of study declaration or wants career-oriented (vocational) coursework to be evaluated, the student should contact the Records Office in Vermilion Hall to make the request. We will need to know the student’s specific major at that time. Not more than forty-five credit hours will be accepted by transfer. The accepted coursework will also appear on the student’s DACC transcript. Only credit hours are noted on the DACC transcript. Grades are not figured in to the student’s DACC cumulative grade point average. However, if a student is a candidate for Summa Cum Laude honors at commencement, grades will be considered for any coursework that is used for degree completion.

Danville Area Community College will limit the academic residency to twenty-five percent or less of the degree requirement for all degrees for active-duty service members and their adult family members (spouse and college-age children). Academic residency can be completed at any time while active-duty service members and their family members are enrolled. Reservist and National Guardsmen on active –duty are covered in the same manner. Students who find themselves in the situations stated above will be referred to the Veterans Representative and/or Registrar for any assistance needed.

Upcoming Events