DACC Summer 2019 Enrichment Activities for Kids
Danville Area Community College summer activities for kids.
Register early as classes fill quickly!
• Boy’s & Girl’s Basketball Camp; June 10-14, 2019; 9 a.m.-Noon. $50. For students entering grades 4-12. Students will be assigned into groups based on skill level. For more information or to register, call the DACC Athletic Department at 217-443-8807.
• College For Kids Summer Enrichment Program on the DACC Campus; kids entering 3rd-8th grade. All classes are held Monday-Friday, June 17-21, 2019. Cost is $55 per class or stay the week for $165 with hot lunch included. Classes held on the DACC campus. For more information, Call: 217-554-1667 or 217-554-1668. Full brochure or Register Online at www.dacc.edu/cce
• Sports Media Camp; June 24-28, 2019; 1:00-4:00pm. The camp is for boys and girls entering grades 7-12. Cost: $65. Come and get the full experience of what it is like to be a professional sports announcer. Participants will be instructed by members of the Neuhoff Media staff including sports announcers from WDAN and VermilionCountyFirst.com. Instruction will consist of interviewing, play-by-play, sports writing, video editing, public address announcing, TV studio work and even broadcast an actual Danville Dan’s baseball game live from Danville Stadium. This is a nationally recognized summer program that has taught future broadcasters, writers and sports media professionals for more than 20 years. For more information or to register, call the DACC Athletic Department at 217-443-8807.
• College For Kids classes at the DACC Higher Learning Center-Hoopeston: June 24-28, 2019. For kids entering 3rd-8th grade. $150.00 for week (3 classes per day) or $50.00 per class. For more information, call 217-283-4170 or visit at 847 E. Orange St., Hoopeston. See full brochure with class descriptions and registration information at: www.dacc.edu/hoopeston
• Studio 101: Art Camp - Creating the Artist of Tomorrow; June 24-28, 2019; 1:00-3:00 p.m.; Clock Tower Center, Art Studio Room 011. $100. For kids ages 13-17. Have fun in the DACC art studio exploring a range of media and techniques. Each day will bring a new and different use of a medium. You will learn to use watercolors to create a unique painting using yarn and glue. You will create your own personalized sign using the Cricut® to design a stencil. You will also, blend paints together to create a collage of colors on canvas, draw a centerpiece using charcoal, use clay to create a pinch-pot that will be fired in the campus kiln, and learn how to create foe-antique wood. You will be taking home several projects that you create throughout the week. Come enjoy, bring your creative juices and have fun. Call DACC Community Education at 217-554-1668 for more information.
• First Gig Rock n’ Roll Camp; June 24-29, 2019; 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Bremer Conference Center; $250; Ages 10-17. Are you a lover of music? Have you ever had a desire to perform on stage? Then this six-day camp is specifically designed for you. If you’re between the ages of 10-17 and you have a desire to play guitar, bass, drums, or be a lead vocalist you are eligible for this camp. You don’t have to be an expert or have even played before. You will be taught everything you need to know to perform live on stage at your first gig at the conclusion of camp. All participants will be working with professional musicians who have worked in their specific discipline for years. Camp staff includes: Guido Esteves, Jeff Markland, Tom Grassman, and Amy Mitchell. All four currently play in successful area bands and enjoy sharing their expertise with future musicians. Held at DACC Bremer Conference Center ~ $250. What you’ll need to bring to camp: Guitarists - Bring an electric guitar, guitar strap, small amp, extra strings, guitar picks and a cable. Bass Players - Bring an electric bass, bass strap, small amp, extra strings, guitar picks and a cable. Keyboard - Bring your electronic keys. Drummers - Bring your kit and drum sticks. Vocalists - Bring your pipes. Join our musicians, music and art students for Art Beat Music Week in Downtown Danville June 24-29 where they will be showcasing their talents. Live music and art displays nightly. For more information call 217-554-1668 or 217-431-2424.
• Welding Tech Camp; Mon.-Thurs., July 8-18, 2019; 8AM-Noon. Open to agenda 13-18. Get hands-on experience in this high-demand technology field during this two week camp. You will experience first-hand what it is like to be a welder in the state-of-the-art welding lab at DACC. Learn how to use the manual lathe to bend and shape metal. You will design and create two projects that you will be able to take home including metal dice and a fire pit. Cost $165. For more information call 217-554-1668.
• Automotive Camp; Mon-Thurs., July 15-18, 2019; 9AM-Noon. Open to ages 15-18. Are you a teen driver who wants to learn more about caring for the vehicle you drive? Then this is the perfect camp for you. You will learn how to perform a safety inspection of your vehicle and get hands-on experience changing the oil and rotating tires. You will also get all your automotive questions answered. Get ready to learn and you might even be able to save yourself money by performing auto maintenance yourself. Cost: $100. For more information call 217-554-1668.
• DACC Master Chef – Fresh Cooking & Sustainable Farming; July 15-19, 2019; kids ages 12-15; 10AM-12:30PM; $150; Bremer Culinary Kitchen; $150. Join the culinary and sustainable farming staff at DACC this summer and learn how to follow recipes and cook with fresh foods. During this week-long camp we will visit the DACC Sustainability Farm where you will learn about growing your own fresh foods. There will also be a lesson on bee-keeping and harvesting organic honey. While at the sustainability farm we will pick fresh produce and bring it back to the kitchen and start cooking. There will also be a heavy emphasis on kitchen safety. Learn cooking techniques throughout the week that will help prepare you for the cooking challenge on Friday. Your team will create recipes using fresh ingredients that will be evaluated by our celebrity judges. This camp is for the adventurous eater and inquisitive learner who wants to learn how to incorporate fresh food into their family’s diet and learn how to follow recipes. Instructor: Chef Dana Wheeler. This camp is designed for kids ages 12-15. Space is limited so register early. For more information call 217-554-1668.