Transfer-In Credit

Transfer-In Credit


Transfer Credit Evaluation

Danville Area Community College accepts 100-level and 200-level coursework from other postsecondary institutions who have been accredited by approved national, regional, and professional accrediting bodies.  Accreditation shows that the institutions have been evaluated by recognized accreditors and are determined, by their peers, to meet acceptable levels of educational quality.

As part of the DACC application process, students are asked to send “official” transcripts from all institutions previously attended.  Once the transcript is received by the DACC Records Office, the transcript is evaluated for credits applicable to the student’s declared major/program of study which will include any math or English credit for course placement.  If the student has not indicated a program of study or is “undecided,” only the math and English credits will be evaluated.  (Please Note:  Students who have indicated “undecided” as their major/program of study are not eligible for Federal and/or State student aid consideration.)  After the evaluation has been completed, the student will see the transfer credit accepted via their student portal.  The unofficial transcript will specify what the transferred coursework equated to at Danville Area Community College.

If a student updates/changes their major/program of study declaration or wants career-oriented (vocational) coursework to be evaluated, the student should contact the Records Office in Vermilion Hall to make the request.  We will need to know the student’s specific major at that time.

Not more than forty-five credit hours will be accepted by transfer.  The accepted coursework will also appear on the student’s DACC transcript.  Only credit hours are noted on the DACC transcript.  Grades are not figured in to the student’s DACC cumulative grade point average.  However, if a student is a candidate for Summa Cum Laude honors at commencement, grades will be considered for any coursework that is used for degree completion.

Transfer Credit Evaluation Process

Advisors and Deans evaluate transfer credit differently depending on the type of course. For transfer courses, such as ENGL 101 or PSYC 100, an advisor will review the Transferology website first to determine if a course equates to an exact course here at DACC. For example, IB 151 Organismal and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (U of I) equates to our BIOL 102 Principles of Biology course, so a student transferring this course from the U of I to DACC would have transfer credit for BIOL 102 posted on their DACC transcript.

If a student earned credit from an Illinois college or university that does not equate to a specific course at DACC, the advisor then looks at the iTransfer website for information concerning whether or not the course meets the requirements of the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI). IAI courses meet certain requirements for the general education core curriculum (GECC) and can therefore be used to meet certain requirements in our transfer curricula even if we do not have a course that equates to the course in question. Following U of I as an example, their MCB 150 Molecular and Cellular Biology course does not equate to a course we offer at DACC, but it does fulfill the IAI Life Science requirement (L1 910L), so we would count it as a BIOL-IAI course on the student’s DACC transcript. This would fulfill the Life Science requirement for any of our transfer degrees.

If a student earned credit from a college or university that does not equate to a specific course at DACC and does not meet IAI requirements, these courses are listed as elective credit on the DACC transcript (ex. BIOL-ELE). These courses can be used as either general education elective credit for our transfer degrees or for general education requirements for our career and general studies degrees.

Academic deans and program directors evaluate career-oriented coursework on a case-by-case basis if a student transferring in credit from another school is continuing the same career program at DACC. Evaluators of these courses use course descriptions and syllabi from the transferred institution to determine if the course either equates directly to a course here at DACC or if a course substitution can be made if the courses do not match enough to equate. If a course substitution is required, the dean, program director, or an advisor will start the process by submitting a Course Substitution/Waiver form to the Registrar’s office.

Upcoming Events