First Aid and Personal Safety
SEMESTER CREDIT HOURS:
Face to Face
An introduction to basic principles and practices involved in effectively recognizing, responding to, and giving care in an emergency or medical situation. American Heart Association (AHA) Healthcare Provider BLS (basic life support) CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) cards will be issued upon successful completion of the class. Student projects include an oral presentation on a First Aid topic and/or related papers.
COURSE OBJECTIVES / GOALS:
- Students will successfully demonstrate through written and/or practical examination, knowledge of the structure and function of the human body as it relates to emergency first aid care and basic life support.
- Students will successfully demonstrate through written and/or practical examinations, the skills necessary to render first aid, keeping in compliance with evidence based guidelines established by the NSC.
- Students will successfully demonstrate through written and practical examinations the skills necessary to be issued the American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS cards. AHA requires a score of 84% or greater on their certification tests as well as successful skills demonstration in order for students to receive AHA cards.
- TOPICS COVERED
- Healthy lifestyles and choices
- Body systems relating to first aid and CPR
- Responding to emergencies - sudden illness and injuries
- Victim assessment
- Basic Life Support for health care providers(CPR)-Infant, Child, Adult Skills
- Shock/Bleeding/Environmental Emergencies
- Cardiovascular disease
- Burns/Bone, Joint and Muscle Injuries/splinting
- Automated external defibrillator
- Bloodborne Pathogens relating to first aid and CPR
- Cold and heat emergencies
TEXTBOOK / SPECIAL MATERIALS:
- American Heart Association Fundamentals of BLS for Healthcare Providers.
- Advanced First Aid, CPR and AED, National Safety Council, McGraw-Hill, 1st Edition (2011).
The following categories are used for the calculation of grades.
- Skills demonstrations and quizzes: 60%
- Student presentation: papers, and any projects: 10%
- American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS Comprehensive Final: 15%
- Comprehensive Final for First Aid: 15%
It is possible to pass the course without receiving certification.
Oct 12 2012 3:26PM